This class is the first of a planned series in Fantastic Spaces in Cinema, consisting of film screenings followed by discussions, which topics varying from surrealism, experimental and avant garde cinema through narrative that highlight dreams, memories, fantasies, and non-chronological time.
The planned filmography will include Luis Buñuel’s The Exterminating Angel and That Obscure Object of Desire; Maya Deren’s Meshes of Afternoon and Ritual in Transfigured Time; Alain Robbe-Grillet’s La Belle Captive and The Man Who Lies; Alain Resnais’ Last Year at Marienbad; Raoul Ruiz’s Time Regained; Michel Gondry’s Science of Sleep and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind; Wes Anderson’s Moonrise Kingdom; David Lynch’s Inland Empire; Dario Argento’s Suspiria; Alejandro Jodorowsky‘s Santa Sangre; Stanley Kubrick's The Shining; Andrei Tarkovsky’s The Mirror and Stalker; Alexander Sokurov's Russian Ark; Quay Brothers’ Street of Crocodiles and The Cabinet of Jan Svankmajer; Jan Svankmajer’s Little Otik and Alice; Jiri Barta’s Labyrinth of Darkness; Nobuhiko Obayashi’s Hausu; Catharine Breillat’s The Sleeping Beauty; Chris Maker’s La Jetee and Eliane Lima’s Djinn.
- Deleuze, Gilles. Cinema 1 the movement image. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota, 1986.
- Deleuze, Gilles. Cinema 2 the time image. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota, 1989.
MEETINGS at the Bay Area Public School:1) SUSPIRIA (Dario Argento): April 16, 7pm
2) SANTA SANGRE (Alejandro Jodorowsky): April 30, 7pm
3) THE EXTERMINATING ANGEL (Luis Buñuel): May 14, 7pm
4) LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD (Alain Resnais): May 28, 7pm
5) THE MIRROR (Andrei Tarkovsky): June 11, 7pm
6) RUSSIAN ARK (Alexander Sokurov): June 25, 7pm
7) SLEEPING BEAUTY (Catharine Breillat): July 9, 7pm
8) MOONRISE KINGDOM (Wes Anderson): July 23, 7pm
9) ALICE (Jan Svankmajer): August 6, 7pm
10) Quay Brothers & Jiri Barta: September 10, 7pm
11) HAUSU (Nobuhiko Obayashi): October 1, 7pm
12) INLAND EMPIRE (David Lynch): October 15, 7pm
13) THE SHINING (Stanley Kubrick): October 29, 7pm
14) SCIENCE OF SLEEP (Michel Gondry): November 19, 7pm
15) TIME REGAINED (Raoul Ruiz): December 10, 7pm...
COURSE TEXTS - PDF FILES:
BERGSON, MATTER AND MEMORY
DELEUZE, CINEMA 1
TARKOVSKY, SCULPTING IN TIME
TARKOVSKY, TIME WITHIN TIME